Eat, Watch, Run

has been moved to new address

http://eatwatchrun.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Monday, January 3, 2011

Garmin 405 Review

Workout:  Ran outside 6.15 miles (57 min)

My Garmin says that's a 9:13 pace but it sure didn't feel like it. Speaking of my Garmin, I've had it for a few months now and feel like it's a good time to do a review. So, if you aren't interested in GPS watches, you might want to skip this post.

I have the green Garmin Forerunner 405. I bought it off of BodyTronics.com for $194.00 (I think) although, it's a few dollars cheaper now. (I do not have the heart rate monitor.)


The Good:
  • This has been an awesome replacement for what I was using - a Nike ID and iPod. I also used the free Runkeeper app on my Droid (which I liked, but carrying my phone all the time was a hassel).
  • It's smaller than most GPS watches.
  • Personally, I like that it's green. There isn't much variety when it comes to color I've noticed, so this one caught my eye.
  • It's accurate. I've run with this and other GPS trackers and it seems like this one is the closest to measuring the actual distance.
  • It's super easy to upload your runs to your computer where you can view your pace per lap, average pace, map of your run, and more.

The Bad:
  • The distance and pace display is fairly small. When your running, the display looks like this:
  • The bezel (the silver ring around the watch) is what you use to scroll through menu options. I've had a problem with it since the beginning. It's really hard to get the bezel to go to the menu option I want. Even today while scrolling through my laps, I had to keep trying and trying to get to the next lap.
  • Touching the bezel changes the screen if you don't have it locked. Even your sleeve or loose clothing will change the screen. So, when running, I lock the bezel to keep it from changing to the lap screen (which I don't care about). Normally this wouldn't be a problem, except that you can't turn on the back lighting if it's locked, which doesn't work on night runs.
  • I wear the watch on the underside of my wrist because the watch aggravates my wrist bone if I don't. Not a problem for me, but it might be for someone else.

Overall, if you are looking to buy a Garmin, I would say definitely do it. But I would suggest getting the Forerunner 305 instead. It's bigger, it's uglier, but it's more user friendly. And it costs about half the price. Most importantly...no bezel. The function buttons are on the side.


Labels:

6 Comments:

At January 3, 2011 at 10:47 PM , Blogger Michelle said...

Did you ever name your Garmin?

I *heart* my 305! It's super ugly though. I wear mine on the inside of my wrist too.

 
At January 4, 2011 at 12:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your honest review. I have been thinking of getting a GPS watch as a reward for reaching my goal weight. I like the look of yours the best, but since I'm not a huge distance runner, I was leaning more towards the lesser expensive models. Why oh why do they have to be so big and clunky?

 
At January 4, 2011 at 8:44 AM , Blogger Eat: Watch: Run said...

@ Michelle - No, I haven't named her yet, but I'm up for suggestions. Pretty sure its' a she.

@Lori - Congrats on reaching your goal weight! :-) I think these watches are great even if you aren't a distance runner. You can use it for walks or bike rides too. The 305 is under $100. Maybe we can start a GPS bedazzler club!

 
At January 4, 2011 at 9:39 AM , Blogger Stephanie said...

I wish I would have read more blogger reviews before purchasing my 305. I love it but I bought it with the heart rate monitor which I'm pretty sure will never get used but jacked up the price significantly. O well...it's still worth it!

Nice run btw!

 
At January 4, 2011 at 10:18 AM , Blogger A Prelude To... said...

I REALLY want a garmin. Thanks for your review. I think when I do get around to buying one it will be the 305.

 
At January 5, 2011 at 1:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a 205 and I absolutely LOVE it. I knew I wouldn't use the heart rate monitor, so I decided against the 305 and saved a few bucks. I just wish mine was cuter like yours!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home